Alverno Heights Academy is an independent, Catholic school for girls and boys in grades TK-8 and a college preparatory school for young women in grades 9-12. The school as a whole is dedicated to preparing our students to function in a society as informed, knowledgeable persons, who have the requisite skills to make and implement mature decisions about complex problems.
Enlivened by the spirit of its Immaculate Heart Community sponsors, and mindful of the Franciscan roots of its founders, Alverno’s program– academic, spiritual, aesthetic, social, and physical– is shaped by the staff, trustees, and students in light of the world for which the students are being educated.
Alverno Heights Academy is seeking a skilled and experienced Science teacher to begin immediately. The position involves teaching upper school Science using a student-centered studio approach. Responsibilities include but are not limited to teaching 4-5 classes; serving as a mentor; and participating in co-curricular school activities. Interested candidates have expertise in teaching Chemistry and Biology, as well as other areas of science. A desire to collaborate with colleagues and a commitment to encouraging the potential in every student is essential.
Ideal Candidates Include:
- Ability to teach a variety of different levels of science including Chemistry (Standard/Honors), Biology, Forensics, Human Health and Anatomy.
- Ability to design lessons that incorporate differentiated instructional strategies for all learners.
- Understanding the importance of creating engaging and effective lessons aligned with Common Core, CA state standards, and College Board.
- Understands thematic instruction and the use of interdisciplinary units to contextualize students’ science education
- Works to intertwine experimental design and inquiry into student’s lab experiences
- Ability to integrate technology into the classroom and has strong classroom management and organizational skills.
- Creates multifaceted assessments that not only speak to students’ content acquisition, but the process skills of science
- Creates curriculum to help students work both collaboratively and individually to solve complex authentic problems.
- Creates a classroom environment that is safe, conducive to learning and is appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Ability to be an effective communicator with students, parents, and colleagues.
- A warm personality, positive energy, calm demeanor, and a sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree.
- Holds a degree in Science or related field
- Has taught at least 3 years
- Works to effectively differentiate for diverse learners
- Collaborates well with colleagues within planning teams
- Routinely reflects on their lessons and seeks feedback
- Plans to work with teachers across disciplines for interdisciplinary projects
- Have classroom experience teaching high school age students.
Salary and Benefits:
- Compensation is competitive and based on experience.
- Benefits included.
Please send a cover letter and résumé to Sara McCarthy, Assistant Head of School, at email@example.com.
If you are interested in a position that may be open at a later date, please feel free to submit a resume to Ms. Michelle Gray, Administrative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org for future openings.